Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Endurance

On this overcast day it has come to my attention that I have ignored my own blog for the past few days. Shame on me. It's not so much neglect as it is disappointment in this trilogy. Sure, it's exciting and addictive but all I can ever think of to share is how unrealistic and frankly immature it is - apart from the NC-17 scenes. Honestly though, this story appeals to the imagination of every woman; a man that's insanely rich, smart, handsome, giving, loving and oh, let's not forget a SEXGOD (shouty capitals).

In the second book of the series, the story was admittedly dull until chapter 13, when things started to accelerate towards a narrative pinnacle. The action in the 50 Shades sequel was acceptable and I think all readers anticipated a marriage without having to open the first book of the trilogy. The most shocking piece of action in 50 Shades Darker  however, was Christian's confession as to why he is, in his own terms, 50 shades of fucked up. With that revelation I'd say 50 shades is a HUGE understatement.

In my opinion, all is agreeable until slightly through the third book. I love how James explains Christian and Ana's wedding as flash backs; it leaves room for a more interesting story. On the other side, what I don't like is how unrealistic this book is becoming. Yes Christian is rich, we get it, but Ana at 22 owning her own publishing company with less than a year's experience as an assistant-  you've got to be kidding me.

And then there's Jack Hyde. You would think with the recent Leila occurrence the lunaticity (not a real word) in this story would cease. On the contrary, I fear it has only just begun. Especially since the antagonist in 50 Shades Freed has already been caught and arraigned. Side note, I think it's funny that his name is Jack Hyde, he was inevitably evil - it's not his fault.

This story is definitely thrilling to read, but it's starting to remind me of a television drama too many seasons in; things just start getting stupid in order to keep viewers entertained. Ana owning her own company at 23 is stupid. It's shocking moments like this, along with a car chase, and avoided kidnapping that make it seem like the 50 Shades story is running out of umph.

Maybe Christian and Ana can share some of the endurance their story is progressively lacking.

Do you agree?


1 comment:

  1. I finnished the first one but decided to not go on because I decided it was all too repetitive. Maybe I will read the other two when I am in need of some light reading.lol..but as of right now 50 shades of grey was enough for now.

    p.s. i really want to know why he is 50 shades of fucked up (dont actually tell me, i know you will want to) and they got married! i guess i figured that one.

    ReplyDelete